The Small Business Network for Paid Sick Days is a group of Connecticut business owners and management professionals who believe that a common-sense paid sick days policy benefits employers, employees and our customers.
|“Some businesses may have an old-fashioned view that anything that is good for employees is necessarily costly for employers. But I think my business serves to prove that this is not a zero-sum game, and that providing decent benefits like paid sick days, even to workers in the food service industry, can pay real dividends for a business.”
|“People who are stressed out financially, emotionally, and physically don’t create a healthy community, so there are good financial reasons to treat employees fairly and with respect even if the basic human desire to be fair and compassionate doesn’t provide reason enough.”
|“Providing paid sick days discourages employees from coming to work sick. This reduces the likelihood that a sick employee will infect other employees, and it helps sick employees recover fast. Sick employees are also more likely to have accidents, risk injuries on the job or cause costly mistakes.”
|“I personally do not want to work in an environment where people feel compelled to come to work sick. I’m sure my associates in the office feel the same way.
Companies who provide paid leave to their employees are preferred employers in the market place for quality talent. We provide paid leave and our employees are top-notch.”
-Mike Brown and Tessa Marquis
- Economic Policy Institute: Paid Sick Days: Measuring the Small Cost for Connecticut Businesses
- National Partnership for Women and Families: Paid Sick Days: Good for Workers, Good for Businesses, Good for Workers
- Drum Major Institute: Paid Sick Leave Does Not Harm Business Growth or Employment Growth
- Institute for Women’s Policy Reseach Report: San Francisco’s Paid Sick Leave Ordinance: Outcomes for Employees and Employers
- Hartford Courant: Proposed Paid Sick Leave Bill Would Have Minimal Impact on Employers, New Study Says
- New Haven Register: New study says Conn. sick day proposal would not overly burden employers
- Hartford Courant Op Ed: Paid Sick Days Good for Business, Employees by Louis Lista
- Hartford Courant Op Ed: Businesses Need Prod to do the Right Thing by Kate Emery
- Connecticut Post Op Ed: Paid Sick Leave A Pro Business Proposal by Scott Macdonald
- Public Testimony in Support of SB 913 from Margo Dorfman, Women’s Chamber of Commerce
- Public Testimony in Support of SB 913 by Louis Lista, Pond House Cafe
- Public Testimony in Support of SB 913 by Jonathan Kantrowitz, Queue Inc.
- Public Testimony in Support of SB 913 by Mike Brown, New Standard Institute
- Public Testimony in Support of SB 913 by Tessa Marquis, New Standard Institute
More resources available at EverybodyBenefits.org.